Have you ever felt your eyes itching or your nose suddenly start to run as you enter a space housing one or more pets? It may be that you are allergic to pet dander. We all love pets, but we sometimes fail to realize that our senses are allergic to the dander caused by the pets. It may be their hair, skin cells, saliva, smell or something else that causes certain reactions in your senses. Pet allergies may also be caused by some furniture that is covered with animal fur. So, what can you do? There are so many people who have pet allergies, but sometimes they have no other choice but to stay in a place where their family members or their neighbors have pets in their house or use fur to decorate their house. So, here are some useful tips to get rid of pet dander:
- Getting rid of pet dander is a multi-step process. Contrary to popular belief, pet hair is not the only reason for pet allergy. Dead skin cells of animals which are used to make fur or leather contains certain proteins that intensify a sensitivity within the immune system. Cat dander particles are usually between 1 and 10 microns in size, so it may be difficult to get rid of these small particles by a simple air purifying machine. So, to get rid of this pet dander we can use an air purifier with replacement filter for fresh air that is specially designed to remove these allergies causing particles from your living air. HEPA filters can trap 99.97% of all particles bigger than 0.3 microns in size. Therefore, it can filter out nearly all the pet dander that passes through it.
- Because of the small size and lightness of pet dander particles, they also tend to stick to soft surfaces including your clothes. These particles cannot be driven away by only an air purifier. You need to clean these surfaces regularly and remove unnecessary particle traps. Besides, you can use a HEPA vacuum to clean your soft furniture. Your carpet or rugs needs to be professionally cleaned. You also need to mop wood and tile regularly. Animal dander can stick to the walls, banisters and crown molding as well. So, cleaning them regularly is necessary.
- If you have a pet in your home, then you must try to reduce the number of cushions and soft toys since they attract animal dander when the pet uses them. You need to wash and clean these soft toys and very often.
- When you live with the pet and keep the house clean, you must consider keeping your pet clean to get rid of pet dander. This is very important. Besides regular washing and cleaning of your pet, you must do regular health checkups.
- Harmful particles often stick to your pet’s body or hair, especially when you take them out for a stroll. So, you must remember to wash and lean them particularly after coming back home.
Maintaining a clean and healthy important for the pet is also useful to stop pet allergies.